News and Writing
- 1986 Mount Hood climbing disaster never ended for one father until now — Tom Hallman, The Oregonian, Sept. 9, 2014
- Searchers recover body of man swept into Sandy River — Bob Heye, KATU, Aug. 12, 2014.
- Cloud Cap Road reopens on Mount Hood — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Aug. 7, 2014.
- Calamity on Mt. Hood: When shifting winds downed a helicopter — Ed Darack, Air & Space magazine, Aug. 2014.
- Seven hikes around one of the state’s Seven Wonders: Mount Hood — Terry Richard, the Oregonian, July 23, 2014.
- Three of Terry Richard’s favorite Mount Hood trails — The Oregonian, July 19, 2014.
- Stoked & Broke: Mount Hood’s endless winter — Pete Cottel, Willamette Week, July 16, 2014.
- Get to know Mount Hood on a hut-to-hut biking trip — Christy Karras, The Seattle Times, July 16, 2014.
- Mount Hood safety project will improve roads but cause delays — Rick Bella, The Oregonian, July 2, 2014
- Mount Hood wolf confirmation was in White River unit — Ben Mitchell, The Dalles Chronicle, March 4, 2014.
- Festival taking its show elsewhere (to Mount Hood) — Christian Hill, The Register-Guard, Feb. 20, 2014.
- Mount Hood magma like ‘peanut butter in the fridge’ but can quickly heat up — Stuart Tomlinson, The Oregonian, Feb. 18, 2014.
- A closed I-84 is going to add to the Mount Hood traffic mess this weekend — Ben Jacklet, Shred Hood, Feb. 14, 2014.
- Timberline Lodge, Mount Hood enjoy moment in sun with Olympics success — Allan Brettman, The Oregonian, Feb. 9, 2014.
- Ski traffic and the Loop Highway: Part 1 (or, Meadows’ proposed new parking lot) — Tom Kloster, WyEast Blog, Feb. 9, 2014.
- Skiers rejoice! Mt. Hood expecting snow dump — KGW, Jan. 6, 2014.
- Crews find missing 71-year-old hiker near Mt. Hood — KPTV, Jan. 6, 2014.
- Skibowl to Expand Biking Terrain — Larry Berteau, The Mountain Times, Jan. 1, 2014.
- Mount Hood photographer Peter Marbach shows Mount Everest photos, guide’s work in Nepali village — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Dec. 16, 2013.
- More than a foot of new snow on Mount Hood — Chris Holmstrom, KOIN.com, Nov. 17, 2013.
- Mount Hood Skibowl adds 90 parking spots, electric car charger — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Nov. 16, 2013.
- Mt. Hood Meadows revamps beginner area to keep it family friendly — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Nov. 16, 2013.
- Coming soon . . . Facility improvements, plenty of snow in store for Mt. Hood Meadows this season — Ben Mitchell, Hood River News, Nov. 5, 2013.
- Exploring the cool beauty of Mount Hood — Tom Vogt, The Columbian, Oct. 24, 2013.
- Exploring more than a mile of caves under Mount Hood — Amelia Templeton, OPB, Oct. 8, 2013.
- Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood Skibowl served by new Clackamas County bus line — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Oct. 1, 2013.
- Author Talk: On Mount Hood: A Biography of Oregon’s Perilous Peak — Clackamas County Historical Society on KATU.com, Sept. 23, 2013.
- There’s something about the water: A Bull Run Watershed tour glimpse — Andy Giegerich, Sustainable Business Oregon, Sept. 24, 2013.
- Biologist finds rare bumblebee on Mount Hood — The Dalles Chronicle, Sept. 19, 2013.
- Rare blue moon over Mount Hood: Mike Zacchino, The Oregonian, Aug. 21, 2013.
- Sore muscles, team camaraderie, life connections: Runners look back while lacing up for this year’s Hood to Coast — Jon Bell, The Scribe, August 2013.
- Body of Polish climber found on Mount Hood — Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian, Aug. 13, 2013.
- Polish climber dies on Mount Hood — Steven Dubois and Tim Fought, Associated Press, Aug. 13, 2013.
- Reckless target shooting threatens safety, land in the Mount Hood National Forest — Elizabeth Case, The Oregonian, Aug. 7, 2013.
- Snow tunnels on Mount Hood glaciers common, and uncommonly dangerous — Stuart Tomlinson, The Oregonian, Aug. 6, 2013
- Mount Hood camp carries on after instructor death — KGW Staff and Elisha Fieldstadt, NBC News, Aug. 5, 2013.
- Lost Lake at Mount Hood draws campers, resort guests to revel in magical setting — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Aug. 4, 2013.
- 10-year-old who fell near Mount Hood has skull fractures — Lincoln Graves, KATU News, July 24, 2013.
- Activities clash on Mt. Hood — Amelia Templeton, Salem Statesman Journal, July 21, 2013.
- Lost Lake Resort, Hood’s classic camping spot, gets some upgrades from new owners — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, July 16, 2013.
- Timberline’s Treats: Though Timberline Trail is blocked, some gorgeous hikes remain — William Sullivan, The Register-Guard, July 16, 2013.
- The search to find missing climber Kinley Adams — Zach Urness, the Salem Statesman Journal, July 13, 2013.
- Mount Hood book by Sonia Buist guides hikers around the mountain — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, July 2, 2013.
- Zigzag Ranger Station on Mount Hood opens new information center — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, July 1, 2013.
- Crews bring down body of Salem dentist Kinley Adams from Mount Hood — Lynne Terry, The Oregonian, June 30, 2013.
- Timberline Ski Area agrees to not construction mountain bike park this summer — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, June 25, 2013.
- Environmental groups sue to stop mountain bike skills park at Mount Hood’s Timberline ski area — Scott Learn, The Oregonian, May 16, 2013.
- Injured Mount Hood climber rescued, taken to hospital after fall on mountain — Stuart Tomlinson, The Oregonian, May 1, 2013.
- Malibu Raceway is moving to Mount Hood . . . Skibowl to be exact — Katu.com, April 29, 2013.
- High on Mount Hood, Silcox Hut is one of the coolest alpine lodges around 20 years after its restoration — Jon Bell, The Oregonian, April 27, 2013.
- On Mount Hood author Jon Bell on AM Northwest — April 24, 2013.
- The trails we’ve tread — Jon Bell, Powell’s Books author essays, April 22, 2013.
- Sandy River uncovers a forest buried by Mount Hood in 1781 — William Sullivan, Statesman Journal, April 21, 2013.
- Mount Hood thrives, but overall snowpack 84 percent of normal this season — Associated Press, April 8, 2013.
- Lost Lake Resort on Mount Hood upgrades under new ownership — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, April 1, 2013.
- Police ID skier found dead near Mount Hood — KGW, April 1, 2013.
- Mountain Express Line now leaving for Timberline, Skibowl — Larry Berteau, Mountain Times, April 1, 2013
- Six days stranded on Mount Hood leave hiker Mary Owen with frostbite, new outlook on life — Emily Fuggetta, The Oregonian, March 31, 2013.
- After a dam falls, 400 prime acres along Hood River given to county, land trust — Scott Learn, The Oregonian, March 31, 2013.
- Snow experts look into cause of Mount Hood Meadows avalanche — Kristian Foden-Vencil, OPB, March 26, 2013.
- Creativity abounds in Sandy: A monthly art salon is scheduled in a downtown gallery — Jim Hart, Sandy Post, Feb. 20, 2013.
- Climate change to reduce Mt. Hood Snow — Samantha Sigler, Portland Tribune Sustainable Life, Feb. 13, 2013.
- Mt. Hood Ski Patrol seeking volunteers for first aid, rescues — Rick Bella, The Oregonian, Feb. 13, 2013.
- Multorpor side of Mt. Hood Skibowl celebrates $1 million upgrade — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Feb. 7, 2013.
- Ski, sip and chill at Oregon’s Hood River — Brian Cantwell, Seattle Times, Jan. 12, 1013.
- Lost Mount Hood snowshoers reunited with families after rescue — Nicole Friedman, The Oregonian, Dec. 24, 2012.
- Mount Hood thinning project not green enough for opponent — Amelia Templeton, OPB, Dec. 11, 2012.
- Conservation on Mount Hood: A bike park at Timberline is a threat to our forest — Dennis Chaney, op-ed, The Oregonian, Dec. 4, 2012.
- Rescued climber recounts trials and tribulations on Mount Hood on his Facebook page — Jeff Kish, Facebook, Nov. 29, 2012.
- Missing (and rescued) Mount Hood climber used Facebook to help search and rescuers — Brent Weisberg, KOIN — Nov. 29, 2012.
- Operation still under way to rescue stranded Mount Hood climber — KATU, Nov. 28, 2012.
- Forest Services approves mountain bike park at Timberline ski area — Scott Learn, The Oregonian, Nov. 26, 2012.
- Mount Hood National Forest will have new bike park — Laura McVicker, KATU, Nov. 26, 2012.
- Author interview: Jon Bell on the allure of Mount Hood, the research process and tips on becoming a freelance writer — Seven Questions Series, Laura Stanfill, Nov. 26, 2012.
- Timberline Lodge celebrates 75 years on Mount Hood — Statesman Journal, Nov. 24, 2012.
- Timberline opens trails on lower mountain — Jon Tullis, Timberline Lodge, Nov. 20, 2012.
- Outdoor program trip takes on Mount Hood — Mason Trinca, The Daily Emerald, Nov. 14, 2012.
- Ski resorts might not open by Thanksgiving — Rod Hill, KGW, Nov. 7, 2012
- An unsolved mystery: WW II vet witnessed explosion of USS Mount Hood — Vera Westbrook, The Tribune News, Nov. 7, 2012. (Read more about the USS Mount Hood here.)
- Mt. Hood Meadows introduces new ticketing system — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Nov. 3, 2012.
- The Ivy Bear Returns — Larry Berteau, The Mountain Times, Nov. 2, 2012
- Mt. Hood Meadows gets new Pisten Bully groomer — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Oct. 29, 2012.
- “Brave on the Page” tells of the craft and creative life of writing – Lake Oswego Review, Oct. 18, 2012.
- Mount Hood gets first snowfall of the seasons — Keely Chalmers, KGW, Oct. 17, 2012.
- Warm Springs Tribes plan powwow, heritage center opening Sept. 29 at Mt. Hood Skibowl — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Sept. 19, 2012.
- Suit filed over Mt. Hood National Forest Fees — Rob Manning, OPB, Sept. 12, 2012.
- Nike night snowboarding sessions on Mount Hood — Andrew Mutty, ESPN blog, Aug. 27, 2012
- Longtime owners sell Lost Lake Resort near Mount Hood — Victoria Edwards, The Oregonian, Aug. 23, 2012.
- Fire-scarred Mount Hood woodlands offer surprisingly cool hikes — The Oregonian, Aug. 18, 2012.
- Grandma Alice,’ 104-year-old N.E. Portland resident, returns to Mount Hood — Larry Bingham, The Oregonian, Aug. 16, 2012. (Some great accompanying photos by Beth Nakamura.)
- 104-year-old woman climbs Mount Hood for her birthday — KPTV, Aug. 12, 2012
- Steiner Cabin Tours this weekend (Aug. 11) on Mount Hood — Mt. Hood Cultural Center and Museum, Aug. 11, 2012.
- The Boot Loop: Bringing Transit to Mount Hood — Tom Kloster, Wy’East Blog, Aug. 6, 2012.
- Hiking Lost Lake — Steve Spigelmyer, Oregon Sports News, Aug. 2, 2012
- Zigzag Ranger District offering Mount Hood hikes — Henry Miller, Salem Statesman Journal, Aug. 1, 2012.
- Man, dog rescued after getting stuck on Mount Hood — KATU, July 24, 2012.
- Bennett gets Mt. Hood Height Record of 8500 Feet with Henderson — C.E.B. Clement, Motorcyclist Magazine, September 1924 but reprinted in July 2012.
- Paradise Park on Mount Hood getting ready to show its wildflowers — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, July 21, 2012.
- Barlow Road Ride, a two-day century road bike tour, will raise funds for the Mt. Hood Cultural Center and Museum — MHCC&M, July 16, 2012.
- Lost hiker rescued on Mount Hood trail — KATU, July 4, 2012.
- Michigan man survives fall on Mount Hood — Rick Bella, The Oregonian, June 21, 2012
- Threatened California fox species found in Oregon on Mount Hood — Carolyn Jones, San Francisco Chronicle, June 19, 2012.
- Fallen Mount Hood climber was highly experienced — Kimberly A.C. Wilson, The Oregonian, June 15, 2012.
- Beauty and the Bull: The little-known Bull of the Woods Wilderness packs a lot — Zack Palmer, the Eugene Register-Guard, June 12, 2012 .
- ODOT to analyze cliff that is dropping boulders on Mount Hood Highway — Sally Showman, KOIN, June 1, 2012
- Pilot in ’02 helicopter crash talks for first time — Pat Dooris, KGW, May 30, 2012
- Air Force crew re-lives 2002 Mount Hood helicopter crash — Pat Dooris, KGW, May 30, 2012
- White River Falls sends up clouds of spray from Mount Hood — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, May 22, 2012
- Two dozen authors to be at Oregon City book fair — The Oregon CIty News, April 25, 2012.
- Time-lapse video shows off Portland, Mount Hood, and more — Huffington Post, April 25, 2012.
- New huts make off-road, family-friendly Mount Hood bike adventure possible — Jonathan Maus, Bike Portland, April 25, 2012.
- Chris Davenport and friends plan to ski all volcanoes in the Northwest — Brigid Mander, ESPN, April 23, 2012.
- John Steiner, who worked on acclaimed Steiner cabins, dies at 99 — Emily Fuggetta, The Oregonian, April 16, 2012
- Scientists: Mount Hood hit by 6.7 quake in 9,600 B.C. — Amanda Peacher, OPB, April 4, 2012.
- Climbing Mount Hood — Oregon Field Guide, March 29, 2012
- Climbing stories from Mount Hood — Jule Gilfillan, OPB, March 27, 2012
- Climbing Mount Hood subject of special half-hour program on OPB — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, March 28, 2012.
- Massive snow on Mount Hood — Kristin Park, The Ski Channel, March 21, 2012
- Timberline gets nearly 20 inches of snow in less than 24 hours — Timberline Lodge, March 21, 2012
- Mount Hood has it all when it comes to snow sports — Craig Hill, The Bellingham Herald, March 18, 2012.
- Timberline Lodge book wins ISHA award — Timberline Lodge, March 17, 2012.
- Mount Hood: Unraveling the mystery beneath a buttoned-down volcano — Scott Learn, The Oregonian, Feb. 14, 2012
- Mount Hood deaths since 1883 — Lynne Palombo, The Oregonian, Feb. 7, 2012
- Climber’s family says Jared Townsley always reached for new heights — Christina Lent, The Times, Feb. 9, 2012
- Searchers find body of Jared Townsley, climber who went missing on Mount Hood — Kimberly Wilson, The Oregonian, Feb. 7, 2012
- State says earthquake more significant risk than volcano at Mt. Hood — Rob Manning, OPB News, Feb. 6, 2012
- Top Shelf: On Mount Hood in Alaska Airlines magazine (p.25) — Cindy Tyler, Alaska Airlines magazine, January 2012
- New Mount Hood Winter Trails map uses aerial photography, waterproof paper — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Feb. 2, 2012
- Portland woman survives Mount Hood fall — Michael Rollins, KGW, Feb. 6, 2012
- Mt. Hood Chapter of the Pacific Crest Trail holds annual meeting, offers volunteer opportunities — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Jan. 31, 2012
- Mt. Hood Scenic Byway: Highway 26 from forest to high desert — Peter Murphy, 1859 magazine, winter 2012
- Ski the Glade Trail fund-raising event set for March 3 — Mt. Hood Cultural Center and Museum, January, 2012.
- Cooper Spur Ski Area open as of Friday, Jan. 20, 2012 — Cooper Spur Mountain Resort, Jan. 19, 2012
- Going one-on-one with Mount Hood — Seaside Signal, Jan 19, 2012
- Mansfield native pens book about Oregon’s iconic Mount Hood — Mansfield News Journal, Jan. 15, 2012
- Quirky little mystery from summit of Mount Hood finally solved — Barney Mann, The Oregonian, Jan. 7, 2012.
- Zigzag Ranger District offers interpretive snow trips — Henry Mill, Statesman Journal, Dec. 22, 2011.
- Timberline Lodge gets a new St. Bernard pup — Frank Mungeam, KGW, Dec. 22, 2011
- New Year’s Eve celebration at Mt. Hood Meadows — First Tracks, Dec. 10, 2011
- Groomed Nordic ski trails on Mount Hood — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Dec. 10, 2011
- Oregon Dept. of Geology’s new lidar map of Mount Hood — November 29, 2011
- Timberline opens Friday, Meadows on Saturday — Henry Miller, The Salem Statesman Journal, Nov. 17, 2011
- Mt. Hood Meadows debuts new lift — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Nov. 9, 2011
- Timberline Lodge kicks off 75th anniversary celebration — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Nov. 8, 2011
- Mount Hood lodges ready to welcome visitors for skiing, snowboarding — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Nov. 3, 2011
- First snow falls on Mount Hood — Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian, Nov. 3, 2011
- Cascadia Wild’s wolverine trackers get closer to nature near Mount Hood — Barry Finnemore, The Oregonian, Oct. 28, 2011
- Skibowl greets new ski season with improvements — First Tracks, October 25, 2011
- Timberline Lodge tops AIA survey of favorite Oregon buildings — Brian Libby, Portland Architecture, Oct. 14, 2011
- White River Falls a scenic spot on Mount Hood — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Oct. 19, 2011
- Q&A: Laser mapping finds new fault line on Mount Hood — OPB, Sept. 22, 2011
- Salmon and mushrooms star in free festival in Welches — Vickie Kavanagh, The Oregonian, Sept. 21, 2011
- Road deconstruction under way on Mount Hood — Keely Chalmers, KGW, Sept. 16, 2011
- Crews make progress on Mount Hood blaze — Jonathan Cooper, The Bulletin/AP, Sept. 13, 2011.
- Clackamas County declares state of emergency over potential threat of Dollar Lake wildfire — Yuxing Zheng, The Oregonian, Sept. 7, 2011
- Helicopters, ground crews battle to keep Dollar Lake fire away from Portland’s drinking water — Stuart Tomlinson, The Oregonian, Sept. 7, 2011.
- Follow the Dollar Lake Fire on Twitter
- The latest updates on the Dollar Lake Fire in the Mount Hood National Forest — Northwest Oregon Interagency Incident Management Team.
- New fire in Mount Hood National Forest as crews battle Dollar Lake blaze — Lynne Terry, The Oregonian, Sept. 6, 2011
- Some great photos, maps and information on the Dollar Lake fire on Mount Hood — Portland Hikers, Sept. 4, 2011
- The latest on the Dollar Lake fire on Mount Hood — The Oregonian, Sept. 4, 2011
- Crews work to protect historic buildings on Mount Hood — KGW, Aug. 31, 2011
- Hidden earthquake faults revealed at Mount Hood — Joe Rojas-Burke, The Oregonian, Aug. 29, 2011
- Wildfire closes campgrounds, trails on north side of Mount Hood — KPTV, Aug. 29, 2011.
- Hood to Coast celebrates 30 years — Collette Wieland, KGW, Aug. 23, 2011.
- Huckleberry Festival and Barlow Trail Days set for Aug. 26-28 on Mount Hood — Vickie Kavanaugh, The Oregonian, Aug 18, 2011.
- Take in some Mount Hood history on Aug. 27 — Henry Miller, Salem Statesman Journal, Aug. 16, 2011.
- Blacksmith wars will turn up the heat in Government Camp — Vickie Kavanaugh, The Oregonian, Aug. 16, 2011.
- Blacksmith Week at the Arts Cabins in Government Camp Aug. 16-21
- Tour the historic Steiner Cabins on August 13 — Mt. Hood Cultural Center & Museum (Read more about them here on the On Mount Hood blog. )
- On Mount Hood nominated for Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association award — PNBA, July 2011
- Five Questions with Author Jon Bell — Reading Local Portland, July 27, 2011
- Jon Bell’s appearance on “Localite with Jon Compton.” — CGN7 Studios, July 22, 2011.
- Writer tells the full story of Oregon’s greatest mountain — Michigan State University alumni newsletter, July 2011.
- Timberline Lodge achieves sustainability mark — Timberline Lodge, July 28, 2011.
- ESPN checks in from summer camp on Mount Hood — ESPN, July 22, 2011.
- Crag Rats, Forest Service, offer tours of historic Cloud Cap Inn — U.S. Forest Service, July 14, 2011.
- Windells Camp Unveils New Snow Park — The Ski Channel, June 22, 2011.
- Bull Trout going back in the Clackamas River — Associated Press, June 21, 2011.
- How does Mt. Hood stack up against other Oregon companies? — April Baer, OPB, June 17, 2011.
- Q & A: The Ups and Downs of Being Oregon’s Tallest Mountain — Geoff Norcross, OPB, June 16, 2011.
- Photographer Peter Marbach on Capturing Mount Hood — John Rosman, OPB, June 15, 2011.
- Book on Mount Hood covers it all — Jeff Baker, The Oregonian, June 13, 2011.
- Mt. Hood Inc. — Just what is this mountain’s business? — Rob Manning, OPB, June 13, 2011.
- Climber Injured on Mount Hood — Everton Bailey Jr., The Oregonian, June 9, 2011.
- Portland asks state and federal officials for reprieve on Bull Run water — Beth Slovic, The Oregonian, June 6, 2001.
- Mount Hood National Forest installing Yomes at campgrounds — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, June 1, 2011.
- Timberline’s summer season begins May 31st — Timberline Lodge, Tuesday, May 31, 2011.
- Rock Creek day use area closed to protect nesting bald eagles — USFS, Friday, May 24, 2011.
- Oregon camping over Memorial Day limited by high elevation snow, but no more than usual for late May — Terry Richard, The Oregonian, Wednesday, May 25, 2011.
- Money Mountain: Mount Hood’s unique economy — Jon Bell, Oregon Business, June 2011.
- Hank Lewis, founder of the Mount Hood Ski Patrol, dies at 98 — Natalie Feulner, The Oregonian, Sunday, May 22,2011.
- Timberline offers great spring skiing still —Timberline Lodge, Thursday, May 19, 2011.
- Construction along Oregon 35 will close four Mount Hood sno-parks — The Oregonian, Wednesday, May 18, 2011.
- Mt. Hood Climbing Has Seen Many Changes in 25 Years Since OES Tragedy — April Baer, Oregon Public Broadcasting, May 11, 2011.
- Peak Season: Twenty-five years after Mount Hood’s worst climbing disaster, mountaineering’s rules haven’t changed much — nor should they — Jon Bell, Portland Monthly Magazine, May 2011.
- Climbing season on Mount Hood is both busy and beautiful — Jon Bell, The Oregonian, Sunday, March 12, 2011.
Pingback: Events « On MOUNT HOOD
Jon, will you be submitting the book for the Banff Mountain Book competition? Last day to submit is today, according to their Twitter post. http://fb.me/Nk3hbfzy
June 29, 2011 at 9:17 am
Thanks much for the heads-up. I hadn’t heard about this. I may submit my book, but it almost sounds like winners are more closely related to the Canadian Rockies than the Cascades. What do you think? Thanks again.
June 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm